27 May 2006

1991



I was taught to knit (for real, and for always) by a series of very patient and talented Norwegian host moms when I was an exchange student near Hamar, Norway 1991-92 (where there isn't a whole lot else to do in the winter but drink tea and knit. Not that I'm complaining!). This first real project was a traditional Norwegian sweater for my mother on her 40th birthday. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the finished project -- though she still wears it and it looks just like new -- but I did dig up this old picture of the work-in-progress that I sent her from Norway along with the finished sweater, to prove I really did make it myself. The finished collar has beautiful Norwegian pewter clasps. My host mom did the steeks for me, but I did everything else. I'm still in love with this pattern, to this day. I may have to make another for myself...

No comments: