28 December 2006

Letter from Georgia

Just a really quick note on v e r y s l o w dialup from Augusta, GA to say hi! It was actually colder here than in NYC for our first two days, but the sun has come out and now it's lovely! The in-laws LOVE the felted slippers. There's sunlight to take pictures in. The other felted items came out mostly great, except for one pair of experimental slippers which are...now doing better, but shall be referred to hereafter as "the Frankenstein slippers." Are you in suspense? Dying for pictures? Soon - I promise!!

Back to red scarf knitting, cheezy detective-novel reading, and being plied with food and wine by my in-laws. Starting New Year's Day, I'm going to write every day and FINISH the last real chapter by the time we leave here. Really. Okay - finish a decent first draft. And, okay, parts of it are already written because they got cut out of the first chapter I wrote. But still. I think I can do it - this much sunshine, a comfortable, spacious room, food taken care of...and we get to sleep every night in total silence and darkness. It's heaven. And a washing machine into the bargain, as well. Heaven.

11 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm so happy to hear that you're being taken care of so well, wow, it does sound a bit like heaven.
Yep, looking forward to those photos...in the meantime, enjoy and tuck that writing in...

Laura said...

Yay! That sounds so relaxing! I'm glad you are enjoying your holiday. I have not had as quiet a time (kids, duh!) but I have been trying to do some comfort knitting and reading. For me, the comfort reading is often cheezy detective novels, but right now is British royal history (I heart Alison Weir) and cheezy historical fiction.

Carol said...

Enjoy the heaven! Can't wait to see the pics!

Fiberjoy said...

A true holiday! Novels, quiet, good food and loving family.
Total silence and darkness at night is a treasure. Sounds as though once your degree is in hand you need to move some place very rural. :-)

Sarah said...

Ah, there's nothing like non-academic reading to make you really feel like you're on vacation :) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

It's great that you can work at your in-laws' place. I need to be cloistered at home with no disturbances!!!! Best of luck. I'm glad all the holiday knitting went well.

Anonymous said...

Ah you are in Augusta! How beautiful it must be! Getting in some golf? Love cheesy detective novels, perfect for vacation. I myself have been watching cheesy murder mysteries all day on tv :) Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Ooh - can I come down and stay with your in-laws too? It sounds like absolute heaven - especially the food/wine/knitting time! :) Kind of like "summer camp" for adult knitters.........minus the whole dissertation thing, of course.... ;>

Cindy said...

Hi! I found your site through your Cast On sweater essay. Your first sweater & my first sweater stories are very, very similar.

http://tales-of-yarn.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_tales-of-yarn_archive.html

It was fun to hear another "first sweater story" so similar to my own. Thanks for writing it!

& good luck with your other writing! Sounds like you have very nice in-laws.

Anonymous said...

I saw on the news that New York was stinky today. Were you affected? I hope everything's ok.
Can't wait for you to post again and I hope the writing is going well.

Tokyo Knitter said...

You've been tagged! (Sorry.)
Please read my blog: http://tokyoknitter.blogspot.com/